here is a time, we would have found it weird … Today fans of flowers and vegetables are numerous and for good reasons: it’s pretty, useful and greedy!
Flowers and vegetables, a good and beautiful mix
Blends of flowers and vegetables are much appreciated by gardeners who have understood the interest of installing them together in a massif. The vegetables scattered amid the massive annual or perennial, bring a touch of originality with their shapes and colors to create highly aesthetic massive. The aromatic have a repellent action on harmful insects. And of course, for small gardens , mixing in the same flower bed and vegetable patch is to kill two birds with one stone: good and beautiful!
We agree: the mixture flowers and vegetables is more motivated by the desire to have a massive aesthetic and original. The taste pleasure is not denied, but the production has a lower yield than a plot dedicated to the garden.
The most decorative vegetables
Some of the most decorative and easy-to-grow vegetables include:
- The cabbage red, green, bluish gray, curly . They are superb but you need to plan some space! They can be pommed or smooth. Original effect in the massive insured! Examples of varieties: ‘Black head’ (small dark red apple); ‘Red Russian’ (not pommed with green-gray serrated leaves and purple hues); ‘Tuscan black’ (long, blistered leaves, looks like a little palm tree).
- The cardoons with silver foliage are beautiful! Again, plan for space, they are between 1.5 m and 2 m high. They look like artichokes , with smaller inflorescences.
- The pears (also called chard or chard), especially the chard with colored petioles (white, yellow, orange, red) are very decorative. Their leaves are green but the veins are also colored. Some varieties: ‘Bright Yellow’, ‘Bright Lights’, ‘Rubarb Chard’.
- The celery gold , why not! The leaves are compact and create a nice effect if installed in a group. Perfect for playing on the pitch.
- The beets , some varieties are all purple from the root to the leaves, such ‘Bull’s Blood’.
- Artichokes , especially when they are in bloom! Spectacular!
- We also do not forget the classics: carrots or parsnips in bloom, salads with curly leaves, Spanish beansthat are grown as a climbing plant of the nasturtium type , the arroche (to replace the spinach ) green , purple, yellow. The rhubarb , however, although very pretty, is not recommended in a massive, it takes up too much space!
Of course, aromatics are the best plants to plant among vegetables and flowers. They are very useful because their smell repels parasites , and they are often very pretty … not to mention their role in cooking.
- The dill and fine foliage.
- The borage and its pretty little blue flowers with oyster taste.
- The purple basil will do wonders next to a golden-green foliage and fragrance wafts. Japanese basil (or Nanking perilla) with purple foliage and pink flowers is as original as decorative!
- The lemon thyme and golden brown
- The green or bronze fennel and its very nice fine airy foliage and later its flowers in yellow parasols.
- Percel , a cross between parsley and celery. Very original and very bright!
- The hyssop , bushy bearing blue flowers, but it also exists in pink or white.
- Heart for the ‘ angelic and beautiful flowers balls. But it takes a lot of space.
- Conventional such the thyme , the rosemary , the chives , the scallion , the parsley flat and curly, the chervil , beautiful flowers, the oregano , the mint (beware, some are invasive), the sorrel , the sage green or purple, garlic and sweet onion in bloom.